Sunday, August 15, 2010

The P & F...and custom shapes

Not bad for a reformed TOMBOY! LOL! Bottom layer shaped into a pond scene...referencing the swamp setting, but that wouldn't have been aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I carved the top layer into the shape of the number 5 for the birthday girl's age. Carved a '5' out of fondant and drew the characters on with a food-coloring marker. Flowers are made from gumpaste and royal icing.

I do NOT use shaped pans. You know the pans that are molded into licensed cartoon characters, sports balls, etc. All I need is a serrated knife and a mental image of what I'm planning to shape. I'm a beast at it. But the oval, circle, is killing me! I still haven't gotten that technique down...but I'm working on it! However, here are a few cakes that I've custom shaped...


1 comment:

  1. I am looking to get a birthday cake made for my DD, how do I contact you?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails