Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Humble beginnings


My first cake amazed me. Not because it was oh-so jaw-dropping. I was just fascinated with how a few simple ingredients and designs could create something that would make another person smile. And so, the affair began. One cold December, I made a cake to be exclusively consumed by another. The cake order...a snowman. I'm not gonna lie, I was nervous. But if there's one thing I've learned about myself, I work well under pressure. Well, creatively speaking. My lack of knowledge made me even more excited. I would be able to determine if I could do it, without guidance from a book, a pattern, or an esteemed cake artist. If this process got on my nerves and proved to be more challenging than necessary, I wouldn't make another cake. With no regrets, pack away from Course One supplies. I'd recently abandoned my fashion design career for that very same principle. But cake design proved to be very rewarding. When I finished, I knew I would eventually get better. I've learned since then that as you make and create, you learn something new. Mostly about yourself. What makes you cringe, what you know you need to improve, what doesn't work, and what does. I would encourage anyone, novice or master, to just embrace each cake as another lesson to sharpen your mental capital. I could have easily stopped at star-piping. That's really all the snowman cake is...tip #18 and a tired hand after it's complete. But I learned something more profound, Rome wasn't built in a day. Cake masters like Buddy Valastro, Duff Goldman, the CakeGirls, we're just meeting them! Truthfully, they've been in this cake business for years and decades. I just started in December 2009...yeah, my evolution has come rather quickly, but understand this, I've been an artist in almost every medium. Design has always been my passin. I take a dress apart that someone else is wearing and come up with the pattern. That enables me to make a cake in any shape rather easily. So to introduce me to cake is really nothing but another way to express my talent. Honestly, the cakes just happen to taste good! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails